Friday, October 29, 2010

Elena Dementieva Retires.

There aren't many times that tennis happenings make me genuinely sad.I called myself the melancholy tennis fan for the sake of whimsy.I'm a bit of an Eeyore,that's all.

Elena quitting does make me sad.What can you say,it's a bummer.

I'm sure the timing makes sense.Though really I thought she could play maybe two more years.But it just came out of the blue.No hints,no whispers.No farewell tour.Just that's it ,I did what I could.Bye.

She could do a lot.Fight like hell.And unfortunately yes sometimes come up short.She won the o8 Gold medal.I know she's very proud of that.If I could play tennis god;I wish I could give her that French Open over Myshkina(no offence to Myshkina)And I very much wish to give the 09 Wimbledon title.Held match point against Serena,and lost in the semi.Of course she would almost certainly have lost to Venus in the final.But it's my dream,so she gets it.



I can't say enough for a female player who never gave a whiff of the Diva bitch act.I have no use for that kind of person.She was a class act.Not shallow and self focused.Not a brat.Not an,"It's all about me"type.Gad what a breath of fresh air that is.



Ok,she didn't win any majors.But how can you not love a pro player who could make you feel so good about your own serve.Bless her.



So I guess now she marries her Hockey player and has kids.Happily ever after is warmly wished,and deserved.



Here are a few things said.



from Elena;




"It's so emotional. It's hard to say goodbye. I'm going to miss you so much".



"You don't have to be perfect, but you have to try very hard, and I did all the time".



Kim Clijsters;



"She brought elegance,kindness, discipline and beautiful tennis to the tour!I will miss having her around because there are not many like her ".



Vera Zvonareva;



"She was a role model. I looked up to her. She had such a great career. Right now, the whole country will be sad and everyone will support her,''





And here's why Jon Wertheim is one of the best;



http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_wertheim/10/29/dementieva.retires/index.html



That last paragraph is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment