Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Australian Open 2012

Novak Djokovic during a changeover




I noticed during the enthusiastic tweeting going on during the Men's final; the players and writers watching the match kept using the word INSANE.In caps.
Maybe slightly short of that crazy superlative, but not by much.
I can't think of too many players who have so comprehensively changed their reputation in the highest ranks of tennis so much in about a years time.
Novak Djokovic has now cemented a Hall of Fame career.He's not the scrawny guy who wheezes his way to another disappointment.He's the magnificent marathoner who captures one of the epic finals of recent tennis history.
Improved diet, and fitness? Yes, I guess.But somehow it just seems like it was time for him to give his best.Things have fallen into place for him.This is the golden chapter of his career.

Nadal.Class act.Heart of a Lion.And he's going to beat Djokovic again.
Watching that match against Federer, I couldn't help but think how much he must have wished it was the Final instead of the Semi.That's the match up he understands completely.That's the back of his hand.I knew he had Roger again after turning the momentum his way.It was just a "here we go again" for Federer.
And of course how many people have thought of the Rock,Paper,Scissors analogy?

The Woman's final was a loud, and dull affair.
The Battle of the Screaming Me Me's.
Not really surprising to see Viktoria Azarenka come through and win a major.She had as good a chance as anybody.Credit to her for claiming it.

Australian Open notes.

Andy Roddick - Fun Mohawk, lousy results.Oh well.

I wonder if we're nearing critical mass on the screaming issue?
The WTA leadership has been anything but leading on this issue.But it seems they may make an effort with the Juniors.Not the money making stars of course.Goodness forbid.

Sharapova in a press conference on the noise; " No one important told me to stop."
Fans aren't important enough.Message received.

I did hear a little of the old whine about equal prize money.It's a done deal.Why bother bringing it up?
No one would deny the men are the superior entertainment product right now.They are in a golden time.They are putting on classic shows in the Grand Slam finals.
But the majors are not stepping backwards.
I think it would benefit the Women to play Five set matches in the Semi's,and Finals.
Why not consider it? I don't question their capacity for stamina.

The time zone difference never ceases to mess up my sleep schedule for a week after the tournament.I kept trying to get to bed relatively early,and then waking up in the am.
If I had of known before I got drawn into becoming a tennis fan that there is no off season,and it's played around the clock, I may have thought better of it.
Oh well,another done deal.

Happy notes.
Loved seeing Svetlana Kuznetsova, and Vera Zvonareva winning the doubles.I just give them credit for playing the doubles!

The Bryan Brothers losing the final was a disappointment, but getting home on time for the birth of Bob's daughter was sweet timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment