Saturday, May 1, 2010

Lindsay Davenport, Ancestry

I read on Lindsay Davenport's twitter a few weeks ago she mentioned a man named John Emory Andrus.She referred to him as the family patriarch,and said he was 101 years old.Which is extraordinary.How many people do you meet who were alive during WWI?

Since I have an interest in genealogy,I looked into her ancestry.Because she's an American,there are many record sources available.


This John Emory Andrus was born in 1909.He's a Grandson of the first JE Andrus,who was a famous man.She's not a direct descendant of JE Andrus(1909).She is descended from John Emory Andrus (1841-1934).

John Emory Andrus(1841) was known as the "Millionaire Strap hanger",which was a reference to his habit of riding the subway to work even though he could easily afford a car.He was a contemporary of Rockefeller,and J.Pierpont Morgan.He was the son of a minister,Loyal B. Andrus,and worked his way up to considerable wealth.He was invested in Standard Oil,Singer Sewing Machine,and Consolidated Gas.He was a long time member of the board of the New York Life Insurance co.
He was also the mayor of Yonkers,New York.He then served as a U.S. Congressman.
He created a philanthropic foundation called Surdna which has a focus of helping young people.Andrus spelled backwards.It still exists.
He was inspired by his wife,Julia Marie Dyckman.She was the child of Swiss immigrants who was orphaned.He strikes me as an extraordinary character.

He had nine children,one of which was his name sake,John Emory Andrus (1883-1947).

JE Andrus(1883) had a daughter named Edith Jefferson Andrus who married Frederick Morgan Davenport.

They had a son,Winthrop Davenport (1907-1980) he married Elizabeth Mae Langford (1913-? )

Their son Winthrop Davenport (1942- ) is Lindsay's father.

I'm sure I could a better job of this in the future.When I have the time I'll try to do it.

CORRECTION- The Blogger system is so screwed up now it's really hard for me to work on the Blog.
I had to make a correction, and it reset the time stamp.It may be wrong to the reference now.
I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment