Thursday, June 10, 2010

French Open 2010 - Notes

A few things.First happy to get to catch up on my sleep now.

I've always really loved Wimbledon,and the U S Open more.I'll see an orange tennis court and cringe a little.Tennis courts are supposed to be green.Blue concrete is also acceptable.
Orange can never look lush.

But I do enjoy the results of the tournament.Last year Federer,and Kuznetsova winning was wonderful.This year,Schiavone's joy has left a warm honey glow that will take some time to wear off.
As much as I revere Wimbledon,the women's champions have not always produced much joy in me lately.But that's another subject.
The French Open was a good show this year.

There were a few retirements during the course of the tournament.

Camille Pin - The thing I most remember about her is the fact that whenever I looked at the IBM stats during a major,her name was usually at the top of the first serve percentage list.
Which means there probably wasn't a great deal of force involved in the operation.But credit where it is due.
I see she likes to scuba dive.She once said, "When I'm done with tennis,I'm going to make a list of all the things I want to do." Hope she has fun.
She did have fun at her last presser.She had been drinking before it.Maybe during,I don't know.
She said she wanted to show up "pissed".Pissed in the English use of the word,not the American.


Sebastien Grosjean - And I'll miss him.Always pleasant to watch.High quality,compact,well produced tennis.Not up to winning a major,but a fine player none the less.
With his Gallic looks,backwards ballcap,and rumpled clothes he cut his own unique figure on the court.I remember the episode he did for the Tennis Channel Interview show (which they unwisely cancelled).He seemed to have just stepped off a practice court.He looked like a sweaty unmade bed.
He lives in Boca Racton Florida.The host asked him if he had a favorite American food."Ribs" he said.Good choice.
I see that he worked out at the Chris Evert Academy in Boca Raton.I hope he keeps a place there.He would be a great addition to the program if they could get him to work with them.


I happened on a twitter account by Brett Conners,Jimmy Conner's son.Apparently he works for Tennis Channel.Daddy got him a job no doubt.Look what he says about Federer's loss to Soderling.

"Later Fed, love watching you lose. Why no tears this time??"

(june 1st)

Wow ! What a mook.
This twerp insulting Federer.

No comments:

Post a Comment